Monday, January 12, 2009

Negrin, Stickland, Darragh quotes and more...

Had a chance this weekend to catch up with three of the four newest Broncos after a flurry of trades from "Deadline Dean". Think that could stick? We have Trader Bob in Tri-City, Rodeo Roy in Lethbridge....maybe someone else has a better one?

Defenseman John Negrin on the late deadline deal that brought him to the Broncos:

"It's exciting, I think with Kootenay they were going with a younger team so I had a feeling. My G.M. had talked to me and let me know that there was a possibility I would be moved. Obviously it was a late deal... I actually thought I was going to be staying in Kootenay and then I got the call just before the deadline and they told me I was coming to Swift Current. I'm excited, it's a good team and it should be fun."

On Michael Stickland who was also traded to the Broncos from Kootenay:

"Sticky is a very talented player. I think his #1 thing is his speed. In a straight line he might be the fastest guy in the league. He's a tough kid, he lays the body. He's smart and and definitely very fast."

On how he wants to close off his junior career:

" I think every player wants to win a WHL Championship and the Memorial Cup. I think it's a lot more possible here (than in Kootenay). (The Broncos) have a good team and I'm excited to be here and try and help the team."

--------

F Michael Stickland on the trade to the Broncos:

"There was a rumour about Negs going somewhere and I think he knew that. He had talked about that with Jeff(Chynoweth). It was pretty evident that he was going to go somewhere and we figured it might be some sort of a package deal. It just happened that I was the guy included in the deal. Jeff explained it as it could have been anybody but just in this case it included me."

On being re-united with Red Deer Minor Hockey teammate and Broncos captain Derek Claffey:

"As soon as I found out I was coming to Swift Current, I got a hold of Claff and I was excited to come and see him. I know that Swift Current was always a hard-working team to play against so obviously I was excited to be coming here and have a shot at not only making the playoffs but making a run deep into the playoffs."

On teammate John Negrin's game:

" Johnny is a well-rounded player. He can be that guy jumping up in the rush or he can be steady eddy at home. He can be on the powerplay which he quarterbacked for us in Kootenay. He's a good puck-mover, shoots the puck well and makes excellent decisions in our own end and makes a good first pass."

On his new linemates of Geordie Wudrick and Cody Eakin:

" I was excited when Dean told me that I would play with Eakin and Wudrick. I know they are both talented hockey players. I'm just hoping I can keep up, figure out the systems and hope that we click."

-------

The Broncos acquired 6'4, 200lb Liam Darragh in a swap for Matt Ius. Here's a transcript of a pre-game interview I had with Liam Saturday night in Medicine Hat.

On the Thursday night trade:

"It was a quick turnaround. We were on the road and just finished dinner in Kamloops and got called into the coaches hotel room. They told me I was traded and by early morning I was on a flight out to Regina. It was a long day of travelling, I met the guys at the rink and it's been great so far."

On what he knew about the Broncos coming in:

"I recognized a few guys from basically just when we played them just before Christmas. I don't know a whole lot... I've heard some things from a Bronco scout in (my hometown) of Quesnel, BC Harley Love. I'm enjoying it so far."

On fighting Colten Teubert of the Regina Pats in his Broncos debut:

"I kind of saw it coming. I guess I tried to hit one of their guys around the blue line and I guess he thought it was a bit questionable and thought he should step in and kind of jumped me. I ended up coming back and got a few shots in both ways. It's good to get the first one out of the way."

--------------

Tomorrow I will have Dean's thoughts...


Jon

No comments: