Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Deadline Talk

With the trade deadline approaching one has to ask where the Broncos fit into the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

With Calgary looking solid as a rock on top, Brandon and Saskatoon are trying to create a two-horse race for the east division lead, and Lethbridge loading up for a playoff run, what's the right course of action for the Broncos?

Right now the Broncos have proven they are at least in the 2nd flight along with Medicine Hat, Kootenay and Regina. Don't count out teams like Prince Albert and Edmonton jumping into the flight as well with their play of late.

What would the Broncos need to be able to compete at the top? I asked Broncos Head Coach/GM Dean Chynoweth last night what he would like to add (at the right price) to the team before Saturday's trade deadline:

"If we could get another top six forward it would give us some depth up-front. I would also be open to seeing what else is out there on the back-end to maybe acquire another defenseman.

Past that, I think our group has had a good stretch where our young guys played good early in the season and I'm not real crazy in dismantling that.

We will keep our ears open and see what may come about."

I agree with Dean's assessment of what is needed. Goaltending is strong, defense is almost there but could use another battle proven veteran and the team is pretty young up-front after the Tassone/Dowling/Dansereau top unit.

On the flip side I asked Brandon Wheat Kings Head Coach/GM his deadline plans. I asked if they would look to upgrade their goaltending and add a proven playoff 'tender. His response was typical Kelly:

"I'm not privy to your sources so I don't know where you're coming from with your goaltending but you've surprised me before Jon.

I don't see us doing a lot really. We are encouraged with our play as of late and we're working real hard to try and finish as high in the conference as we can.

Recognize there are a lot of strong teams aside from the obvious which on our side is Calgary. At some point you have to go through Calgary at some point and with the Memorial Cup a year from now, we also have to be mindful of that and it ties our hands."

What will today bring? Stay tuned.

----------------------

Jon

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just heard that Toulman left the Broncos. That makes 3 players this year that have quit or not reported. What gives on this team? Comments?

Jon Keen said...

Nothing gives. Three players? Jesse Dudas was never here this season at all so I don't count him. Matt Ius has a family matter to attend to regarding his dad.

The Broncos haven't confirmed anything with Toulmin.

Every team, evey year has incidents like this. We're not the first and we won't be the last.

Don't make it sound like this is the first it's ever happened.

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with Jon on this. Some 3rd or 4th line player leaves because they think they are better then they are and the accusations and rumors fly. Some people just look for an excuse to jump on the coach or organization. The boards get stupid this time of year.

Jon Keen said...

Saw that board O, downright ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Any rumours out there Jon. Sick of looking at Pederson's blog. lol

Jon Keen said...

I don't have anything on the Broncos. I've learnt over the years to keep my nose out of it until 4:01pm on the 10th. lol

Anonymous said...

Jesus O, take a valium. I was simply asking if anyone had any info about some players. I wasn't bashing any coaches or organization.

Anonymous said...

Seeing that your "anonymous" I don't know how to respond. If you're the first poster, what makes you think I'm talking about you? I was talking about posters on a discussion site.