Just put two and two together here...
The Broncos will be forced out of their building for the 1st round of playoffs next season because of the 2010 Ford World Women's Curling Championships March 20-29th.
At first, it wasn't initially brought forward at today's media conference the event would be held in the Hockey Rink...not the new Curling Facility as originally thought.
It was an out-of-town delegate from the Canadian Curling Association who told me the plans after the initial news conference. It was just assumed the new facility would host the International event, not the hockey rink at th Credit Union I-plex.
So, why did we get this new curling facility if it can't host events like this?
This is about to blow up I'm thinking. Granted, the Broncos still need to make the playoffs next season for this to really take flight but when you look at the potential scenario, this could be a devastating blow to the hockey club for a couple of major reasons:
1) Home ice advantage wouldn't exist
2) The Broncos opportunity to generate post-season revenue would almost certainly be chopped at least in half if not more.
You would think the City would have to compensate the Broncos financially for this and talks are presumubly underway.
So, the big question is where would the Broncos host their "home" playoff games? Three potential scenarios here:
1) A WHL non-playoff market. A Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat, and perhaps Regina although this isn't an easy proposition to host a playoff game in another market. It would need approval from that team, and the facility. As mentioned, that team would also need to miss the playoffs in order to be a potential destination.
2) A WHL approved neutral site. The league would take the opportunity to test-drive a potential WHL market, ie. Victoria perhaps?
3) All the playoff games in the first round would be played in the Broncos' opposition rink.
Personally I don't like any of the options. How do you think the Broncos feel?
Sound off time. What do you think? This story is only going to get bigger but will really take off next season.