Saturday, November 20, 2010
Blazers in Portland
The Blazers will try their luck against the hottest team in the WHL tonight. The Portland Winterhawks have won 13 of their last 14 and are 19-3-0-1 to start the season.
It's the Winterhawks first game back on home ice after a six game East division road swing in which they went 5-1 overall.
The Blazers will look for a bounce-back effort after a disappointing 4-2 loss in Everett last night. The Blazers didn't play their best and turned the puck over a lot over the course of the game.
I would expect a couple line-up changes tonight but as a team the Blazers will have to play better if they want a shot at knocking off the top team in the WHL.
- Tonight's game will be played out of Memorial Coliseum. When you talk to people around the - league they either love or hate the old building. Personally, I'm not a fan but I respect the history of Memorial and all the great battles and games before me. For me, it's a time-warp back to 1970 (or what I imagine 1970 to be like).
- For me, one of the nicest drives in the entire league is I-5 south at night from Everett through Seattle and on to Portland. You roll right past Seattle's skyline, plus Safeco Field, and Qwest Field.
- For some of the Blazers, this is as close to a "home" games as it comes. California born players Brandon Underwood and Chase Souto are as close to CA as they're going to get this season.
- G Jeff Bosch will debut his new goalie mask tonight. It was painted up by a local person that several of the teams use. Bosch said last night he talked about the design with Toledo (Blazers trainer) to go over what he should have on it:
"The only thing I made sure that was on there was a little Riders logo to support the hometown team," said Bosch prior to last night's game.
The Riders and the Calgary Stampeders will battle tomorrow afternoon in Calgary in the West final.
- Catch the game tonight on Radio NL or online at www.radionl.com or www.blazerhockey.com. Pre-game show at 6:30, play-by-play at 7pm.