Monday, March 12, 2007

Gathering Momentum

Prince Albert must really dislike the Broncos.



If the Raiders give up the last playoff spot in the final week they can blame the Broncos for their misfortunes. For the 8th time this season the Broncos beat the Raiders - last night a 2-1 victory at the Art Hauser Center.



Jeremy Schenderling's pp goal midway through the 3rd period at the very end of a 5-on-3 man advantage turned out the be the winner. Dale Wiese had the other goal late in the first period. For Wiese, it's goals in consecutive games after not scoring in 11 straight.



Kyle Moir was steady and made it look easy in goal making 30 saves for the win. His puck and rebound control didn't allow the Raiders 2nd and 3rd opportunities. For Moir, he just keeps getting better as the playoffs approach.



What a recent stretch! Three for three this weekend, and winners of 6 of their last 8 outings. The three weekend wins also clinched 3rd place in the east division and a playoff clash with the Regina Pats in the 1st round.



The Broncos won last night without Levi Nelson, Brady Leavold and Spencer McAvoy in the line-up who all sat out after taking some bumps this weekend. How 'bout Leavold's physic-like prediction in the 2nd intermission? I asked him who would score the winner with the score tied 1-1 through 40 minutes, "my buddy Jeremy Schenderling will score his 23rd," is what Brady boldly predicted.



The boys are feeling good about themselves and why not. They could have mailed that one in last night with their depleted line-up, playing the third game in as many nights, and just clinching a playoff spot the night before . . . they didn't. Good on 'em for that. They must have really wanted that movie on the way home! Borat!



It's been a busy weekend, and myself along with the entire team quite frankly is looking forward to a bit of a break. It'll be nice to recharge for the next dew days and start planning a playoff strategy from a broadcast standpoint.



Other WHL news, the Lethbridge Hurricanes are out, the Red Deer Rebels are in. The Rebs beat the 'Canes 6-4 last night to clinch the final playoff spot in the Central division. A "Hurricane warning" has been issued for next season... they could be dangerous.



It looks like the Rockets will not be headed to the playoffs. Last night's loss to Tri-City combined with a Chilliwack shootout loss give the 'Wack a 3 point edge for the final playoff spot in the B.C. division. If the Rockets miss out, it will be the first time in franchise history they've missed the post-season.



Some other local sports news. . . big props to the Swift Current Remax Tier II Wild who won a provincial title this weekend in Prince Albert. Word is they only had 13 skaters and one goalie but got it done with four straight wins. The team is coached by Greg Hurrell.



Accountability. It's something most don't have to deal with in this new internet age. Anyone can have an opinion without having to claim it as their own or put their name to it if they so wish. It's only when you're held accountable for your words when the filter from brain to keyboard takes effect. George Bowditch of the Prairie Post actually wrote a good editorial on this recently.

Sure, I open myself up to criticism or praise daily with this blog because every opinion that's posted I'm held accountable for because my name is on it. I may not like it but it's part of the job I guess, I deal with it. Every comment I make about a player, the team, another team, the beer vendor, whatever - I have face up to it, and I think I have. I will continue to allow "anonymous posts" but please put yourself in my shoes before you blow your top. As my friend Ryan Switzer has recently informed me "nothing is off the record on the internet". With that said, the blog may be coming to an end sooner rather than later.



Bronco parents hopefully have been kept in the loop as much as possible and I think the coaching staff and the organization appreciates the blog too. But, I work for a radio station first and foremost and do not want it potentially to affect my job in the future. The blog's main objective is to keep fans informed both at home and on the road and share the odd opinion now and then which is open for debate.



Let's hear from you,

Jon


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO, Jon, say it ain't so! I hope you keep the blog going. I value your opinion and insight and look forward to reading the blog. It is alot more credible then reading the forums when a person wants the truth.

Anonymous said...

I check it a couple times a day to see the happenings of the team. It's been the best source of info for news and commenta. Agree or disagree it's good infomation

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon,

Add me to the list of readers who love your blog and the info you provide.

Not sure why you wouldn't continue, but consider me another person who would be disappointed if it didn't continue.

Good job Broncos on a stellar weekend.

SpeedyCreekGal said...

I hope you don't stop writing. I would really hate to think that the parents would have to resort to being informed via the forum which is the equivalent of gossip written on the bathroom walls in junior high school.

Anonymous said...

Jon, quit whining, keep writing your opinion, and if people don't like it, they can state their opinion. I am not even joking this time. QUIT WHINING AND KEEP WRITING YOUR OPINION!!!!! You decide whether you want to post this one or not. And if anyone wants to throw barbs at people without putting their name to it, don't post their comment.

Jon Keen said...

Moler!

I'm not whining, I'm just stating a fact that I put my name on the line every time I post.

Thanks for coming down this weekend. We'll work our plan to perfection next time!

Anonymous said...

Keep your blog going Jon. I would miss your preview comments & your inside post game comments. I check your blog daily. Great work Kenner. Now lets go Broncos, Keep this great hockey rolling.

Anonymous said...

Jon, Mole is right you are freakin whining!!! Keep writing and if people don't have the balls to pu at least some form of their name on their posts then screw em!!
Yes I am Pat and I am from Regina!!!

GO PATS GO

(that one is for Ernie)lol

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA HA!!! Thanks Pat!!! LOL I sure hope to meet you on the 23rd or 24th. Hard to believe you didn't find me last Wednesday. LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Big Ern

Anonymous said...

Ernie I saw you behind the bench waving your flag, but I had my initiation hockey team with me and ouldn't make it over. Maybe next time.