Trailing 6-2 late in the 2nd period, the Swift Current Broncos started chipping away at the Lethbridge Hurricanes lead.
Back-to-back goals from Justin Dowling and Taylor Vause 16 seconds apart sparked the comeback with just over three minutes to play in the 2nd period.
An Adam Lowry PP goal at 8:13 of third got the Broncos within a goal before Eric Doyle jumped up for a shorthanded 2-on-1 break with Justin Dowling. J-D fed a nice pass over and Doyle shovelled it home as the Bronco bench erupted with 1:38 to play.
The Broncos had some chances to win it before overtime but 'Canes goaltender Brandon Anderson made some late saves.
The Broncos pushed the pace in overtime to no avail and then didn't get a sniff in the shootout as both Mitch Maxwell and Cam Braes scored for the 'Canes for the 7-6 SO win.
The Broncos had some difficulties in the crease as starter Morgan Clark was pulled after the 'Canes 4th goal on 23 shots. Alex Sirard came in but a bad bounce off the glass led to a shorthanded goal by Carter Bancks moments later.
The Broncos goaltending has been great at home yet inconsistent on the road.
The Broncos outshot the 'Canes 37-28 overall and 31-12 in the last two periods.
- Cody Eakin scored his league leading 21st goal of the season on the powerplay in the first period. Eakin was dangerous all night long.
- One of my favorite moments of the game was Eakin driving wide on D Luca Sbisa in the dying seconds of the game in an attempt to win it in regulation. Both players were tired after an extended shift and Eakin found an extra gear to get by the NHL defenseman who was just returned to the 'Canes last week.
- Justin Dowling finished the night with two goals and two assists while Brad Hoban chipped in with three assists.
- Geordie Wudrick picked up his first road point on the season with an assist on the Adam Lowry PP goal in the third period.
- Michael Stickland left the game after the first period and didn't return due to injury. His status for tonight's game in Calgary is unknown.
- Special thanks to Elaine Lowry! Broncos F Adam Lowry's mom had a special package delivered to the media box pre-game. A bag of goodies for the staff will be enjoyed on the way home tonight including some "It's About Passion Pumpkin Bread" and some "Bronco Brownies". Nice work! It's nice to hear when the parents enjoy the broadcasts. Thanks!
- Had another incident with the same fan who sits below the visiting broadcast booth. He likes to get in your face and make sure he's noticed. A stand-up guy no doubt. I felt bad when I looked at his kids and noticed they were completely embarrassed by their dad's actions. Enough said.
Ok, I wish I could blog more.... but I'll keep it that for now.
More from Calgary tonight,