Thursday, November 26, 2009

Doyle Talks Trade

If you follow this blog, then you know from the last couple years I'm a big Eric Doyle fan.

I remember my campaign last year to try and get him a spot on Team WHL as Swift Current hosted one of the two games against the Russians.

He didn't play in Swift Current, but was an injury replacement the next night in Prince Albert.

He's a good player, and has always been good to me. He talked about the trade with me earlier today at the Credit Union i-plex.


On being traded knowing the Broncos had to move a 20 year-old.

"I wouldn't say I was shocked. I came into the season with an open mind knowing there's a chance it could be me. I think it's a good deal for both teams. The Broncos get a good defenseman who will be here next year as well. I'm going to a younger d-core so I think I can bring a veteran presence and help them on the powerplay."


On going back to the U.S. division and going to Portland........

"(smiling) well I remember playing them (with Everett) and they weren't too good. But obviously they've turned that around. They have some top notch coaching with Mike Johnston and Travis Green. I'm looking forward to going there and getting into a game."


On leaving Swift Current.......

"It's going to be tough. I made a lot of good friends here. It's always hard getting traded especially after three years. I grew close to my billets. It's part of the game, it's the business side of it that no one really likes."


On the guys he'll miss on the team......

"Well Dowls (Justin Dowling). He's one of my best friends and my roommate the last two years. Derek Claffey is a good friend of mine. When I was first traded here we didn't get along... we hated each other (laughs) but now we're pretty good friends. Guys like Eaks, Browner, Taz. Then the young guys too new to the team. It's going to be hard leaving these guys, but it's all part of it."


On playing his former team in about three weeks in Portland........

"I've thought about that actually. It's going to be weird playing these guys. Like I said it's part of the game and you have to go out like it's just another game."




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will miss you Doyle, thanks for your leadership and good luck in Portland. More importantly, good luck next year in the pros!

Anonymous said...

When will Tassone be in the lineup? Friday November 27th? Week after or what? Just curious.

Will Tassone play as a top 6 forward and bump one of the other forwards on the top two lines to a third line role? I'm curious where Tasson will be slotted in (He is listed as a centre but has played a lot of left wing too).

Navotny/Eakin/Stickland is a solid #1 line

Lowry/Dowling/Hoban have played well together but could Tassone be in there for one of Lowry or Hoban?

Jon Keen said...

Wow. Not sure I have any answers for you. Matt won't play this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps too much time on my hands...regardless, I am a Taz fan so I'm looking forward to his return to the lineup.

Anonymous said...

Let me guess, comment #2 is from Tyler...