A few thoughts on the weekend....
- Cody Eakin added to his league leading goal total now at 24 as he scored two more in the 6-2 win over the Kootenay Ice. He equals his goal total from last season just 26 games into the season.
Eakin's 1st goal is POW worthy. Michael Stickland tossed a saucer pass that Eakin knocked down and controlled with his glove at waist level. He settled it down to his stick all in full flight before snapping it by G Todd Mathews.
- D Reece Scarlett joined the team post-game after visiting the hospital after a fight. He had his nose broken but was in good spirits and was fine. Reece won't forget his first WHL fight. He later joked that his gloves would be strapped on for awhile.
- Stepan Novotny scored his first goal as a Bronco. It would turn out to be the game-winner. He finished off a scramble in front of the Ice goal late in the first period.
- The bus ride home was a bit a longer one. There was some snow through the mountains which slowed the pace down somewhat. The team arrived around 7:30am Saskatchewan time.
- The Ice have great fans. Always in a good mood. A few though left early when the Broncos made it 5-2 in the third.
- The usher who stands right beside the visiting broadcast booth (and who was the subject of a WHL broadcasters email for getting involved verbally with visiting broadcasters) had a warning for me pre-game "Call a good game... there's two teams out there". Later, he was tapping me on the shoulder to inform me the Ice goaltender switch in the 1st period.
- Bert from Kurt's KFC will be handing out gift cards for the guys following the road win. By my count it's $167 KFC bucks! That's a lot of chicken. Whatever works.
- The Broncos won't play until Friday night in Brandon. Good Luck to Justin Dowling and Cody Eakin who will represent Team WHL this week at the Subway Super Series.