- The Broncos are off to the Edmonton pre-season tournament with a roster of 34 players. Players like Eric Doyle, Cody Eakin, Justin Dowling, Geordie Wudrick and Morgan Clark will soon be off to NHL camps.
- F Matt Tassone is one of five 20's on the roster. Matt is at home recovering from off-season shoulder surgery. I hope to make contact with him this week and find out the latest.
- Need a WHL radio fix? Prince Albert Raiders Radio is on the air tonight for pre-season action. Drew Wilson has the call for the Raiders/Blades pre-season game on 900 CKBI. You can also catch the online broadcast at 900ckbi.com and through raiderhockey.com.
- We are shooting for an exhibition broadcast for the final weekend before the regular season. Right now it's 50/50 depending on a few things. I can guarantee we will have the season opener Friday, September 18th vs the Moose Jaw Warriors.
- Had a call from a local minor sports team yesterday. They were concerned with their perceived lack of coverage from our group of three stations.
We cover the Broncos like a blanket and broadcasting all 72 games, producing half-hour pre-game shows and intermission features, travelling with the team, and fulfilling our obligations to the Broncos and our clients sadly doesn't leave much time for much else. Our radio station's partnership with the Broncos is the amongst the best in the CHL and it takes a lot of attention and work to keep it going.
Teams in the city have received A LOT of air-time over the years in local sports coverage and you would be hard pressed to find any other market in Canada which provided play-by-play to 20 "AAA" midget games on a full power 100,000 watt FM signal.
I/We, need your help if you want your results and info on. My advice? Do what other teams have been doing for a number of years now and designate a parent, a volunteer or a coach to provide the station with your info via phone call or email. It's greatly appreciated.
- Played golf with colorman Tim Tisdale last night. Tim is back for another season in the booth as well. Looking back on the summer, the Broncos Hall of Fame weekend was simply outstanding. Of course, Tizzy scored that overtime goal against the Blades in the 1989 Memorial Cup Final. Word is the 1989 team is going to plan a Las Vegas reunion in the coming years.
- Tizzy then proceeded to beat me by seven strokes... which would be the tightest round all season... by a long shot.
- Referee Zac Wiebe worked the majority of Broncos Training Camp. The son of Broncos Governor Ben Wiebe is one quality official. Wiebe does USHL and AHL games down south. The WHL would be fortunate to have him.
- Kudos to the Broncos for posting roster updates on their website. Many teams are very careful as to what information they release at this time of year. Many teams don't want the names of players attending camp on a try-out basis posted for fears another team could list or invite the same player at a later date.
It's back to school for Swift Current kids today. That's all for now, more later.