Here's just a few random thoughts.....
- Canada F Taylor Hall is one gifted player. His skating impresses me the most. He has to go #1 overall in this summer's NHL draft. He can electrify a building. He's likely physically ready to step right in to the NHL next season. What a player.
- Slovakia scored twice but could have had four...maybe five. They didn't have the bounces go their way in front of the Canada net. A couple goal posts and missed opportunities could have made the score a bit closer had they went the other way.
- It seems like a lot of the media is focusing on the fact the games in Saskatoon aren't sold out. The atmosphere was better in the rink last night than it was for the Boxing Day game against Latvia. But something is still missing. Maybe all that's missing is a real good game or a dramatic ending.
- It was good to hear Jeff Hayes back doing the public address last night in at CUC. Hayes is the Blades P.A. announcer and a former co-worker of mine in Saskatoon. He didn't do the Boxing Day game and the P.A. announcing was nothing short of a debacle that night.
- The classic cheer of "Go Canada Go" reigned supreme last night. Try as they may, the folks at Diet Pepsi won't change that. Their attempts with the "Eh-O-Canada-Go" were again met with indifference from the Canadian fans.
- Hockey Canada is doing a great job of coordinating the media. Their media relations people are handling the numerous requests pretty well so far.
- Broncos F Stepan Novotny had a goal and an assist as the Czech Republic defeated Austria 7-1. It was a much needed win for the Czechs who had lost their first two games of the tournament.
- The Broncos host the Medicine Hat Tigers Friday afternoon at 2:30pm for New Year's Day matinee game. It's also the beginning of a home-and-home set between to the two teams. The Broncos have a very tough January ahead which includes eight games on the road and six at home. The Broncos play the Saskatoon Blades and Regina Pats three times each.