Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday

The Broncos board the bus early this afternoon and head north to Prince Albert. The team has won six of their last seven games heading in but is bound to face a desperate Raiders club. They sit eight points out of a playoff spot and have made it clear that missing the playoffs this season would be unacceptable.

We're on the air tonight at 7pm with the pre-game show, 7:30 play-by-play.

Speaking of the pre-game show, Broncos Assistant General Manager Elden Moberg will be our guest. He's on a scouting mission out at the World U-17's in Port Alberni, BC.

Elden dropped a bombshell this week announcing his resignation from his current role as Assistant General Manager / Director of Operations with the team.

I spoke with him last night and he talked about moving on.

" This is my hometown team and I've worked with them most of my working life and having the opportunity to do that and try to make sure the team not just survives but have some success is something I'm proud I had the opportunity to be part of." - Moberg

Broncos Head Coach and General Manager Dean Chynoweth weighed in on Monday's announcement.

"It's a big loss. Obviously I would say I'm happy for Elden but disappointed for the organization. This guy has bled the blue and green to the blue and black that it is now. He's done everything that an organization needs to have success. The great thing about Elden is that he's a great person and he's worked in all facets of the organization. We wish him all the best and thank him for all his time."

One thing Dean also pointed out was the way Elden was viewed outside the city and organization by the rest of the league.

"I think at times, and I have no problem saying this... that he doesn't get near the credit he deserves in Swift Current. I know how well he is respected in the league with the other General Managers, other Governors and partners in the league."

I have to admit Elden was pretty good at keeping a lid on this news. I roomed with him for our 10 day B.C. road trip and not even a hint in that direction was given.

From a radio station standpoint, he was our liason with the team and worked in developing our annual contract. As a former radio employee, he understood it from our perspective and has helped create what is a good partnership between the two parties.



-------------------

I had a few people come up to me and say "did you hear what Lee Jones said about you on the CTV Regina sports the other night?"

Apparently Lee was going into the Broncos/Pats highlight package the other night and was doing his best to build up the rivalry.

"the teams have battled in the playoffs the last two years and even their radio broadcasters have jousted verbally, so you knew tonight's game would be feisty"

I laughed out loud at that one. Jousting verbally is maybe the words I wouldn't use exactly. Maybe a few blog battles here and there but nothing I've gotten too worked up about it.

Regardless, it was good to see some highlights out of the I-plex.

Before I forget, Happy Birthday Chris Hodges.

----------------------

I was a guest yesterday on the Cory Colt afternoon show on Newstalk 980 CJME out of Regina. Mitchell Blair steered Cory in my direction to get some thoughts on the topic of the day which was "Do the World Juniors lack drama and suspense this season?"

My thought on this was that yes they do at this point, but that's the case every year. Until you get into those games where it's win or go home, there really isn't much on the line. Especially when you're playing some of the bottom feeders like Kazakhstan.

No one was complaining about lack of drama two years ago when Jon Toews and Carey Price starred for Canada in that semi-final shootout thriller against the U.S. Or last year when Canada and Sweden played sudden death overtime to decide the gold medal.

Besides, it's always a great boost to the Canadian hockey morale to beat up on a team like Kazakhstan 15-0. Had they won 5-0 would the pundits have asked what's wrong with Canada?

It will get better, and judging by last night's feisty game with Germany it already has.

Talk to you from Prince Albert....

Jon

No comments: