The Blazers won their fourth game in their last five outings by blasting the Rockets 5-1 at Interior Savings Center.
A determined Blazer team came out and scored three first period goals, getting to Rockets G Adam Brown. It was something they couldn't do Thursday in Kelowna as Brown was stellar on home-ice.
Brendan Ranford, Chase Schaber and Dylan Willck scored first period goals to set the tone for the contest. For Ranford, the shot actually went in off a Rocket defenseman in front. It was his league-leading 30th of the season.
Bronson Maschmeyer added a PP goal just 49 seconds into the 2nd period and the Blazers rolled from there. JT Barnett added another.
Jeff Bosch was excellent in goal. He made 29 saves - including some big stops late as the Blazers finished off the game killing off a 5-on-3 for a full two minutes.
"Tonight was redemption for myself," said Bosch during our Radio NL post-game show.
"I wanted to prove it to the guys and myself (after being pulled in Kelowna Thursday night). I was happy to do my part."
Bosch now looks forward to facing his former club the Moose Jaw Warriors Tuesday night at ISC. In his last seven appearances, Bosch has posted a GAA of 1.83 and a .945 save %. That's getting it done. Impressive numbers.
- The Blazers made Rockets F Shane McColgan a target most of the night. The shifty Rocket forward taunted the Blazer bench after one of his goals Thursday night. It was clear the Blazers didn't forget about it.
- With that said, I think the Blazers post-game celebration needs to be toned down... just a little. F Chase Souto taunted the Rockets bench post-game with what's becoming a regular post-game celebration. It was in response to what happened in Kelowna. I thought it was too much.
- As comical as the celebration is for the players and Blazer fans, I can tell you this - other teams around the WHL and personnel aren't so enamoured by the "NHL 94" celebration. The last two nights, the celebration has caught the ire of the opposition. Even though it's not intended to be a taunt... if this was the NFL, there would be flags flying everywhere. I see the humour in it, but others not familiar with what's going on are taking it personal. Something to keep an eye on moving forward.
- The mood around the team is pretty good right now. The guys are enjoying winning together. The Blazers are enjoying wins a lot more than they were earlier in the season. The team has come together more because of it.
- F JC Lipon left the game and didn't return. He injured his leg and limped off the ice. There's word he went in for an x-ray. No word on his condition.
- In the last seven games, the Blazers penalty kill is 30/32 or 93.7 %
- The Blazers host Moose Jaw Tuesday night. They are the last of the East division teams to come through. The Blazers are 3-2 vs the division this season.