I'm not going to get into a lengthy recap tonight but it was a pretty solid outing by the Broncos who breezed to a 6-1 over Moose Jaw to kick off the new season.
The Broncos played pretty well while Moose Jaw didn't play up to their capability. It seemed the Broncos were a bit more versed in a team game and system play than their opponents.
Here's a few notes on tonight's contest.
- Cody Eakin is seemingly fine with being the team's new poster boy. Eakin was a force netting the hat-trick and adding an assist for the biggest point outing of his short career.
- Bronco young forwards looked good in their debut. Jordan Peddle scored his first ever WHL goal to get the scoring started 3:46 into the first period.
- Bronco fans are going to like the hard-working farm kid from Duffield, AB named Dillon Wagner. He's a good one, and he's a full fledged cowboy when he's not playing hockey. Wagner and the Broncos are match made in heaven!
- The Broncos chased Warriors starting goaltender Todd Mathews midway thru the 2nd period with their fifth goal. Deven Dubyk came in and played well in relief. Who starts Saturday night in Swift for the Warriors?
- Is their life after Joey Perricone in the Warriors crease? I posed the question to a Warriors Head Coach Dave Hunchak in our pre-game interview. He likened the situation to when Kyle Moir graduated from the Broncos and the uncertainty following the next season. Travis Yonkman stepped up. The Warriors will need someone to come forward.
- Travis Yonkman made 19 saves for the win in goal.
- Hunch was looking good pre-game. Slim, trim, maybe a haircut... working out??
- Spencer McAvoy blocked a shot with his left leg and left the game in the 2nd period. He returned for third period earning him our post-game show's "Tough Guy of the Game" award.
- Three Bronco rookies played well on the Broncos blueline tonight led by 18 year-old Andrew Hewett. Fans are going to like this guy too. James Martin didn't look out of place and 16 year-old Jordan Evans did his job while seeing a handful of shifts.
- Is it possible Keegan Dansereau's hands are even better than last year? He pulled out some dangles around Warriors that made me chuckle on-air a couple times. He finished the night with a pair of assists.
- The Warriors will be better tomorrow night. The Broncos will face a much tougher team.
That's it for tonight.... the Broncos host the Warriors in the home opener tomorrow night at 7:30pm. Don't forget about the pre-game festivities beginning two hours before face-off.