Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday

Welcome to a new week....

- The Kamloops Blazers are back to practice this afternoon after sweeping a three game swing through Alberta. All three games were one-goal games. The common factor in all three wins was strong special teams and great performances from G Jeff Bosch.


- Portland G Mac Carruth picked up the WHL Goaltender of the Week award but I have to think Bosch got some lengthy consideration from the league office. Three wins, all on the road, a GAA of 1.00 and a save percentage of .970. Boy, I hope Mac Carruth had those numbers and did a juggling act in between periods as well to get the nod.

- Don't look now, but BC division teams have won 10 straight games combined.

- I'm enjoying all three Blazer coaches perspectives in our pre and post-game shows on Radio NL. Head Coach Guy Charron plus assistants Scott Ferguson and Geoff Smith all add something different to the equation. It's refreshing to get a few different takes. I hope the listeners enjoy it as much as I do

- I did an interview with Edmonton Oil Kings broadcaster Corey Graham Friday night. It was played on the Rexall Place jumbotron before face-off. The name bar underneath read "Kirk Fraser". Way to go Cap... you looked good up there!

- I'm interested to see the new look Brandon Wheat Kings Wednesday at ISC. I'm also hoping they break the current 9 game losing streak they are on tomorrow night in Kelowna. The role of "slump breakers" is never fun. I think it adds unwanted pressure.

Believe me, after seeing the Wheat Kings 12 times last season in the regular season and playoffs it's hard to imagine them struggling. It makes sense after graduating so many players but after seeing them roll for so long it's definitely a change.

- Wheat Kings Head Coach / General Manager Kelly McCrimmon is one of the smartest people in the game today. If I polled GM's across the league I think he would be at or near the top amongst the most respected by his colleagues.

- Blazer fans I want to see you Thursday evening at the Ramada Hotel's Rooftop Lounge for "Blazer Hockey Talk". It begins at 5:30pm. I'll be hosting along side Rick "The Bear Wile" for the hour and a half session. Guests will include Coach Guy Charron and GM Craig Bonner. We will be taking your questions in-person, by phone or by email: blazerhockeytalk@hotmail.com

- It was nice running into Keegan Goodrich on the weekend in Calgary. The former Swift Current Broncos Media/PR Director is settling into his new role with Hockey Canada. He's getting set to do some travelling. A trip to Halifax for the Women's Four Nations Cup and to Germany for the World U-18 Championships are all coming up in the next few months.

------

No comments: