(photo courtesy hockeycanada.ca)
Eakin and Canada's National U-18 team claimed gold at the 2008 Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament in Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Cody collected two goals and an assist in the tournament as Canada went undefeated. I briefly chatted with Cody today. He's pretty excited to say the least.
- The Broncos P.R. Machine is in full force for another season with several media releases the last week. The Broncos have called a media conference for Monday morning at 11am to announce an International hockey event.
The cat is out of the bag already... but I'll wait 'till Monday until laying out the details of the event.
- Bronco rookies and list players show up Monday for orientation meetings. The Broncos will then put them through fitness testing on Tuesday and there will be some on ice sessions Wednesday. Main Camp opens Thursday for all intensive purposes. All events and ice-times are back at the I-plex after spending last year at the Fairview Arena because of on-going renovations.
- The Broncos broadcasts will have a new sound this season. As we all know Ryan Switzer is calling it quits after five fun seasons. Tim Tisdale will take over and I have big plans for the former Bronco. He will be stationed at ice-level for at least a period during home broadcasts to provide another point of view. The former WHL bench boss will also be doing some intermission interviews and talking with the Broncos coaching staff between periods. It's all in the planning stages right now, but I'm hoping we go ahead full steam.
- Welcome back Randy! Randy Merkley, former voice of the Moose Jaw Warriors who had to take a hiatus due to voice problems, is back in the biz! Merks is one of the good guys and I'm happy he's back in the WHL mix as the new voice of the Chilliwack Bruins.
He provided color commentary on a few broadcasts this past season when the Broncos were visiting Regina. He is also getting married in the next couple months which is making for quite a hectic time.
- As I compose this message, the Swift Current Indians trail Okotoks 11-7 in the 8th inning in game four of the WMBL Championship Series. Okotoks leads the best-of-five 2-1.
The former player and coach can now be seen on the golf course almost every day. Don't be surprised to see him back with the Tribe in the coming years.
Congrats Harv, well deserved.