We're on the air tonight from Moose Jaw's Civic Center beginning at 6:30pm with the Bronco Big Show for the season opener.
The pre-game show will have a feature on the Broncos leadership core as we introduce you to what new captain Zack Smith is all about and how he plans to lead the team.
The regular features will include a couple players plus both coaches. Ryan and I will also take some time to introduce the new rookies on this year's team. We will have a small breakdown on who they are what they're all about.
A couple opening night observations from Edmonton....
- Was it just me, or did the game seem a little slow? Granted it is opening night and both teams had to stand around for opening ceremonies which lasted quite awhile. Regardless, the Oil Kings couldn't have asked for a better ending. The winning goal with 1.2 seconds to play left the hometown fans with a smile on their face at the end of the game and that's all you can ask for.
- Former Broncos defenseman Karl Benke put his gear on long enough to be apart of the player introductions. The 19 year-old was a healthy scratch as the Oil Kings went with six defenseman.
- You have to feel for Paul Macdonald of the Kootenay Ice who tripped on the carpet when the Ice were coming out. Give him credit, he handled it well. A faceplant in front of 6700 people isn't the worst part. That will come from his teammates.... all season long.
- Who was that P.A. announcer?
- I love the Oilers goal horn... the Oil Kings have also adopted it. I just don't want to hear it October 8th when the Broncos play in Edmonton for the first time.
- Former Bronco Clayton Cumiskey made his WHL debut last night for the Oil Kings. The Broncos unwillingly left him unprotected in the expansion draft. He's a former bantam "AAA" teammate with Broncos Geordie Wudrick and Ian Curtis from their time in Abbotsford.
Should be plenty of Bronco fans tonight in Moose Jaw. This being the closest home game until October 12th has many fans making the 170km trek east. Let's hope the guys come out flying in the season opener.
See you tonight!