Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Draft Recap - Part Two

Dale Wiese - 4th round, 111th overall, NY Rangers

The Swift Current Broncos saw their best power forward on the team selected by the New York Rangers Saturday.

The Rangers had to trade up to get the pick so they could take Wiese.

They wasted no time in getting Dale to New York, he flew out the next day for a prospects camp and fitness testing.

I spoke to Rangers Chief Scout Jim Hammett on their 4th round pick. Here's some of his comments.

" We liked his improvement over last year. He figured out how to use that big frame and our hopes is that he turns into a power forward and keeps his snarl and ends up being a tough physical guy for us.

We're going to bring him into our development camp and assess him there. It will be up to him whether he goes back to the Swift Current Broncos our joins our organization next year.

As an organization we like him, and when you like a player you go after him and that's what we did (trading up in the 4th round)"


I got a hold of Dale Wiese in his New York hotel yesterday after a grueling day of fitness testing and two hour on-ice session. He was thrilled to be a part of it all.

" I talked to probably 15 teams and I didn't know the interest of the Rangers. I got the call thinking it was my agent to tell my not to worry that I would get my chance eventually here... as soon as I picked up the phone I saw my name come up... it was a shock.

(laughs) They called me 12:30 Saturday when I got drafted and told me I had to be on a plane the next morning at 7am. I flew from Winnipeg to St. Paul and then onto New York. I got picked up from the airport and went right to their training facility. It's unbelievable, probably the nicest facility in the NHL. We did some fitness testing in the morning, and then we skated for a two hours. We have the same schedule all week it looks like.

I would love to play in the American League this year but whatever the Rangers feel is best for me, if I go back to junior and play in Swift Current it would be another great opportunity, it's been the best three years of my life. Hopefully though I get a chance to play in the Rangers system and make the most of it."

------------------

Matt Tassone - 6th round, 176th overall, Dallas Stars

The last Bronco forward selected in the draft was Matt Tassone. "Taz" was more than excited to hear his name called. More with him in a second.

I chatted with Dallas Stars Western Scout Shane Churla on their selection:

"I think he has a lot of our qualities. We put a lot of value on gamesmanship. I think Matt he exuded a lot of that. Everytime we saw him he was a competitor.

He has to work on some things like his skating but he's got a big heart, a good level of skill and a good team player.

I liked him a lot, everytime I went in there (Swift Current) he seemed to stand out. In the big games he was able to raise the level of his play... he has a lot of Dallas Stars qualities.

Matt Tassone
made it a goal of his to be drafted this summer. He was thrilled to get the phonecall Saturday.

"It was like sitting on needles... watching the draft. Clicking refresh over and over again. To finally see my name on there it was a great relief.

When they called me they said they liked my size and my physical aspect and that I fit good with their team. They think I could be a good prospect for them in the future."

Swift Current Broncos Head Coach and General Manager
Dean Chynoweth was on hand to see four of his players drafted:

" Very excited, I couldn't' be happier for the guys first and foremost and as an organization we have said we think we're going in the right direction. We had a pretty good season and those four guys were real key guys in that. It was nice to see them rewarded.

He doesn't expect to get Zack Smith and Dale Wiese back for next year.

"About the same chances of you hosting Hockey Night in Canada Jon (laughs) ... I don't expect to get either one of them back."

--------------

No comments: