Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Few and Far Between

That about sums up the frequency of my recent posts....

The Broncos are off 'till Friday night when they host the Kootenay Ice, the Riders and their fans are still celebrating a Grey Cup victory. The parade route ran from Mosiac Stadium on the Legislature Building where I'm told our premier Brad Wall represented our city well. It was good to see him on the field for the coin toss prior to kick-off. I haven't spoken with him but I heard it was a pretty good time in T.O. for all involved.



Grey Cup Sunday was awesome. Fans all over the country that make up Rider Nation celebrated the victory together. Text messages and phone calls from coast to coast were coming in through the game and late into the night. By the sounds of it, Albert Street Regina was the place to be but kudos to our fans who made Swift Current's Central Avenue a party zone after the Riders win.

Ryan and I were part of the action and I took a mini disc recorder into the crowd of rowdies for some morning show audio. Grain trucks with Rider flags were roaring down Central complimented with horns honking and fans in the back grain hopper... crazy.

I caught a bit of the post-game show on CKRM 620. I have to compliment voice of the Riders Rod Pedersen and how composed he was. I don't know if I could pull it all together in that kind of a moment. Impressive.

-------

Kurt’s KFC Teddy Bear Toss Night Set for December 1st (press release)

The Swift Current Broncos are set to host the Kurt’s KFC Teddy Bear Toss at Saturday night’s (December 1st) home game against the Brandon Wheat Kings. As in past years, all fans attending the game are encouraged to bring a new stuffed animal to the game. To keep the toys clean all teddy bears should be placed in a plastic bag. When the Broncos score their 1st goal, fans can throw their teddy bears onto the ice! All stuffed animals will be donated to the Salvation Army for those who are less fortunate.

The Salvation Army will also be selling toonie tennis balls at the doors in conjunction with the KFC Teddy Bear Toss; that can be filled with change to support the Salvation Army’s programs.

For ticket information, please contact the Broncos Office at 773-1509.


----------------

Started some Christmas shopping this week but it's still too early. I operate best under pressure and November 27th shopping is anything but a pressure cooker. I find myself shopping for myself more than anything. Oops.

I made the snowy trip to Notre Dame last night for a "AAA" midget Legionnaires broadcast. Now and then I still do the odd "AAA" broadcast on the Eagle 94.1 FM. Often times we set up in small rinks that are anything but broadcast friendly. Phone lines are tough to find, the rink is usually cold and the calibre of hockey is inconsistent at best. Last night it was the " Scalpers Nightmare" between the last place Notre Dame Argos and the Legionnaires who are 2nd from the basement. The trip, set-up, and broadcast serves as a good reminder as to how good the Western Hockey League is. Sometimes I think we can take that for granted as broadcasters. We have it pretty damn good. No whining please.

Alright, I have to throw some motivation over to Switzer at ryanswitzer.blogspot.com

C'mon man! Novemeber 15th is your last update! (Is that the kick you needed?)

Have a good day,

Jon

No comments: