Friday, June 15, 2007

Habscheid Fired!

This kind of took me by surprise this afternoon. Here's the news release from the Boston Bruins.

BOSTON, MA – Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that the club has relieved Head Coach Dave Lewis and Associate Coach Marc Habscheid of their coaching duties, and will reassign them to other positions within the club.

“Since the season has ended I have completed a thorough review of the team and the coaching staff, and I have determined that Dave Lewis and Marc Habscheid are not the proper fit for the Bruins at this time,” said Chiarelli. “I have a short list of candidates in mind, and I hope to have a new Head Coach in place in the near future.

“I want to thank Dave and Marc for their hard work and dedication this past year, and I am certain that they will have success in their future endeavors.”

Lewis, who became the 27th head coach in Bruins history on June 29, 2006, finished the 2006-2007 season with a record of 35-41-6. Prior to joining the Bruins, Lewis served as the Head Coach of the Detroit Red Wings from 2002-2004, where he amassed a record of 96-41-21-6.

Habscheid was named to Dave Lewis’ staff on July 13, 2006 following two years as the Head Coach of Canada’s National Men’s team.

Doug Houda, the third member of the Bruins 2006-2007 coaching staff, will remain in his position.

I'm not sure what to make of this.... I'm sure Habscheid will be around for the Mccleary/Marleau/Moen golf tournament on Monday at the Elmwood. We'll see what's next for the local coaching product.

Regan Bartel voice of the Kelowna Rockets is speculating a return to Kelowna might be a good fit for Habby. We'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,

WHL.CA is reporting that Brad McEwen is stepping down as assistant general manager in Lethbridge. The former Broncos' GM/Head Coach is reportedly persuing other endeavors. I wonder what he's up to.

He is the guy that always hit his head on the way out of the broadcast booth here in Swifty, isn't he? LOL

Big Ern

Anonymous said...

Yeah Jon part of this took me by surprise. That part is Habscheid. Complete shock for me being a huge Bruins fan (even have a tatoo). Only somewhat suprised by Lewis being let go. They must be talking to someone already no matter what they say, cause to let Marc go is nuts.

David's Color Comments said...

I still think that Ryan Huska is the man for the job in Kelowna! I don't think I have Regan 100% convinced yet, but he is coming around! It's tough for Huska and the Rockets. Clearly Kelowna needs to make the right move, but do they send the wrong message to Huska if they don't promote him soon? I'd be a little upset if I was the last resort!