The Broncos closed within one victory of the 40 win plateau with a solid 3-1 win against the Edmonton Oil Kings.
Dillon Wagner's blast from well outside the circle beat Torrie Jung clean just 2:16 into the 3rd period stood up as the winning goal. Geordie Wudrick added an empty-netter with eight seconds left to continue his points streak to 11 games.
Cody Eakin opened the scoring late in the 1st period when his one-timer beat Jung after a flurry of chances leading up to the goal.
The win, coupled with a Regina Pats come-from-behind 4-3 win over Medicine Hat, put the Broncos three points up on the Tigers in the battle for home ice advantage.
Travis Yonkman was brilliant again making 34 saves for the win. He's found a groove and is proving himself again as an elite WHL goaltender (hey A.J.?). Yonkman was named the 1st star in the building. Torrie Jung was real good too, but would want the Wagner goal back.
The Broncos play in Red Deer tomorrow night to conclude the weekend.
This n That.....
- I love Regina! Well not really, but we did each other big favours tonight as they beat the Tigers and the Broncos defeated the team they're chasing for the final playoff spot.
- The Broncos are quietly going about their business. Now just a win shy of posting back-to-back 40 goal seasons. For all the talent on last year's team, the 07/08 Broncos only won 41 games. The efforts of this coaching staff should be applauded.
- My roommate Keegan Goodrich informs me the Broncos are the hottest team in the 'dub right now. Five straight wins is presently the longest streak of any team. Go figure
- The Eagles and their six tour bus entourage are staying at our hotel in downtown. They rock Rexall place tomorrow night. We were barely out of the rink tonight and the tear down was on.
- Assistant Coach Tim Kehler says the ice tonight in Rexall wasn't very good. It was heavy and took a lot of both teams as the game went on.
- Matt Tassone sat out again tonight with a shoulder injury. He won't play this weekend. Dean Chynoweth will have more on his situation tomorrow night on our pre-game show
- Keegan Dansereau is a +31 to lead the team. I would have never guessed that.
- Could the Broncos play the Kootenay Ice in the opening round of playoffs? Don't look now but the Ice are playing well and closing the gap on the Medicine Hat Tigers for 5th. They trail the Tigers by five points and have a game in hand.... and they play a home-and-home series beginning tomorrow night in the 'Hat.